Sunday, November 8, 2009

Karroubi on 13th of Aban



Here is an English summary from Mousavi's Facebook:

One of the most important events that happened after the revolution, for those who approve or disapprove of it, was the takeover of the US Embassy and every year this event has been remembered.Many political groups had announced their participation and this year... I announced that I would participate too and start from Haft-e-Tir Square towards the former US Embassy. I had especially told people that should there be radical slogans I would stop there to stop the radical slogans and those who wanted to chant radical slogans separate from us.When we got near Haft-e-Tir square, the police forces stopped us and they were very brutally towards confronting people.

I stopped and thought they would think twice and would also let me pass but things got even harsher and they hit the guards who were with me and even wounded two of my guards. They also used tear gas that dispersed people and also caused me to suffocate somewhat. I got back in the car and returned which I don’t get to say what happened on our way back. They were especially brutal against women, which is really ugly and bad for us [as a society]. My question is why this happened. The most that could happen was people would have gone to the embassy; some would have chanted “Death to America!” and some would not have or would have had other normal chants like “The Islamic Republic”, and we would have tried to prevent people from chanting radical slogans.

But my even more important question is about the two-faced policies of the government that until recently was repetitively trying to change its policy towards the Unite States. It was communicating and sending congratulatory messages while they would not even respond. I can’t read all that text here but I invite you to read the discussion of Tabriz member of the parliament where he mentions a meeting with fifty of important American figures from politicians, scholar, journalists, and intellectuals in the presence of Ahmadinejad for two hours which he also considers fruitful.As a political figure, I tell you if there was such a meeting held during any of the past administrations in the past twenty years, the extremists, especially in Qom, Tehran and Tabriz would make scenes but how come there was no issue and chain newspapers like Keyhan had no objection; and now suddenly what happened that again there is massive propaganda and accusations against the United States.

I don’t say chant or don’t chant; I say that the national interests of Iranians is not something that should be influenced by us as the government that every day changes based on a different interpretation that people don’t know about its secrets and don’t even hear about it. One day there is a meeting with fifty important American delegates and the relationship between the two countries, Afghanestan, nuclear issues, and oil are all discussed and another day the government completely mess up everything. I feel that these kinds of policies make problems for our people and reveal that the government is confused and does not know what it is doing.I consider it my duty to tell these even if it may have consequences and hardship for me and I have no problem with that. This two-faced approach will make people to lose trust and tomorrow they will not trust the government anymore which is only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment