Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sanei's Speech Against Regime

For those of you who speak Farsi, here is an important speech by Ayatollah Yossuf Sanei in which he criticizes the regime including forced confessions and the regime's media. Sanei is one of the highest religious figures in the country and a strong supporter of the reform movement:



Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Update, best translation is just snippets, but here are my favorites:

"They say, why have you broken our unity? Why have you created conflict? Well, the oppressed and the oppressors always have conflicts."

"I must tell you that in this system, Mir Hossein Mousavi is either unparalleled or almost unparalleled in terms of his dedication to religion and his country. I didn’t want to say this, but because I am very emotional, I must. Mir Hossein Mousavi, when he was in involved in high politics, and later when he wasn’t, would always make sure to send his religious donations [khoms and zakat, by religious law, every Muslim is responsible for giving a certain fraction of their income to charity through the grand ayatollah they follow.] And this was not about tricking people, or deceit. And anyways, he can’t trick me. I come from a long lineage of akhunds [mullahs- it is famous that you can never trick a cleric.] He would always come and give me the amount, and then leave in his Peykan [Iranian made Hillman Hunter] and each time he wold come, he would give me a lesson in politics.:"

"I told one of the officials who came to see me, who was there on behalf of a very high official, I told him: annul the election result. Hold a new election. The sky isn’t going to fall. This is a knot that is easily undone. A knot that can be undone with the hands, we don’t undo with our teeth. He said no, there’s been no fraud. I told him, there’s been no fraud, o.k. This sounds like the story of the man who told another man, I’ll give you 70 reasons why there’s no water in the pool. The other said, I’ll give you only one reason that there is, and he picked up the first man and threw him in the pool. They’ve acted so horrifically that now, even an election annulment will not do them any good."

No comments:

Post a Comment